This workshop provides an overview of substance misuse and chemical dependency. It is delivered by a psychologist that specialises in psychiatric disorders and forensic
mental health. The training can be dedicated to the social care environment or the corporate environment.
Mental Health Training also provide Dual Diagnosis training and an overview of this workshop can be downloaded here:Dual Diagnosis training
Substance Misuse Awareness training. A unique event with flexible learning outcomes:
Every aspect of drug taking and psychobiology is addressed in a stepwise and accessible way. Most importantly, the relationship between personality vulnerabilities, mental wellbeing and substance misuse is addressed in an integrated style of learning.
Dual Diagnosis is addressed in detail. Dual Diagnosis describes the co-occurring indications of mental illness and substance misuse. This is a uniquely complex area of psychiatry and participants are supported to improve their learning in this important area of health and wellbeing.
Key features of the workshop:
- The types of illicit drugs that are misused in the UK, Their classifications, effects
on the central nervous system and body;
- The brain on drugs and the psycholbiology of addiction;
- Symptoms of intoxication and withdrawal. How to identify the symptoms of intoxications and withdrawal;
- Prescription medication misuse and dependency. A classification of pharmaceuticals, their effects and abuse potential;
- A key focus on alcohol misuse and alcohol-induced dementia and cognitive disorders;
- Risk management and traumatic behaviours associated with drug dependency;
- The effects on drugs and mental health – particularly clients with dual diagnosis;
- Tips to working with, and supporting people with substance dependency;
- Novel Psychoactive Substances. The latest science;
- Working with people vulnerable and dependant on illicit substances and drugs of misuse -The principles of substance misuse counselling;